Skip to main content

MAC X Aaliyah Haughton Age Ain't Nothing Palette

Today I have a review of the new MAC x Aaliyah Haughton Age Ain't Nothing Palette.

For those of you who do not know, Aaliyah Haughton was an American singer, actress and model that tragically died in 2001 at age 22. She was a really successful and famous R&B singer at the time of her death. I remember hearing of her name, but I don’t think I had ever heard her music. I was 8 years old the year of her death, which may explain why I hadn’t really heard of her.
I purchased this palette for £26.00 directly from MACcosmetics.co.uk. It is a limited edition product, but it is still available to purchase as of today. The packaging is made out of shiny plastic and it was specially designed in a metallic burgundy colour and it has Aaliyah’s signature printed in silver on the front. The packaging is a lot like their other nine shade palettes, apart from you can’t see the eyeshadows from the front, due to the signature design. It has a magnetic opening and the eyeshadows are laid out in threes. I feel like they could have included a little mirror on the inside of the lid because it looks really plain. This is probably why their other nine shade palettes are transparent. The eyeshadow pans are quite small, but you can easily fit your fingers or an eyeshadow brush in them.
You get nine 0.65g eyeshadows in five different finishes; Veluxe Pearl  (VLXP), Lustre (L), Satin (S), Matte (M) and Frost (F).
LOVESMOKE - bright warm silver (VLXP)
MAGIC MOOR - warm purplish-brown (VLXP)
CARE 4 YOU - medium plum (L)
CREATIVE COPPER - light warm gold (L)
THAT SOMEBODY - soft golden brown (S)
PRINCESS OF SOUL - medium dirty brown (M)
DECEPTION - bronzy taupe (F)
GINGERSNAP - rosy copper (F)
DANCE IN THE DARK - deep purplish-brown (M)

The colour story is described by MAC as being a “moody deep neutral shade wave”. The eyeshadows should be highly pigmented, apply evenly, blend well and can be used wet or dry.

I am a little disappointed by this palette! The packaging and shades do look beautiful, but the quality just isn’t there. I am not overly keen on the formula of MAC eyeshadows anyway, I think they are dry and lack pigmentation in general and this palette does unfortunately live up to that. The shades Lovesmoke and Deception are the most dry and patchiest shades of the palette, even with primer. The eyeshadows blend ok, but I struggled with inspiration for looks as there is not many matte or light shades. It is definitely a grungy inspired palette with a couple of pops. Overall, I wouldn’t recommend this palette and I wouldn’t look at purchasing any other MAC little palettes, especially if the quality is supposed to be like this one!

I just find it a little dodgy when brands do collaborations with deceased celebrities. It is like they are using their name just to sell, in some cases, low quality products and make money off them. If the celebrities were still alive, I doubt some of them would have consented to the collaborations as they are!

♥ ♥ ♥

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

KALEIDOS Futurism VII: Sashimi City Palette

This was the futurism palette that I was the most excited about trying. It’s the one that has the most cohesive colour story to me and I do love me some warm neutrals! I still have three more futurism palettes to test out and I can’t wait. THE PACKAGING The packaging is a long thin rectangle shape and the concept reminds me of a wardrobe. There is a purple, pink and coral city skyscraper theme all over the packaging. It has a magnetic closing and you open up the left side first and then the right side to reveal the circular eyeshadow pans and long thin mirror inside. The outside theme continues to the inside. The eyeshadow shade names come printed on a removable plastic sheet. THE EYESHADOWS & FORMULA You get six 1.33g eyeshadows/pressed pigments in Matte (M), Duo-Chrome (DC) and Multi-Chrome (MC) finishes.   ·          Rich and Velvety Texture ·          Smooth as Silk Application ·   ...

Swatches: Maybelline Colour Sensational Stripped Nudes Lipstick in Tantalizing Taupe

Tantalizing Taupe (725) - light, but deep nude beige Quite smooth, slight shine and pretty nude colour, but sadly it doesn’t really suit me. £6.99 - Maybelline.co.uk What do you think of this product? ♥ ♥ ♥

Perfume Power! - Avon 'Femme'

I recently started looking at the Avon catalogues again and I saw this perfume had a test circle. Whenever I see the test circles, I just have to rub them! I tested this perfume and I instantly wanted it, plus it was on offer with the matching body spray and lotion. The bottle is clear glass and is inspired by diamonds. The cap is clear plastic and is a squared diamond shape. It has a regular perfume spritzer, which is silver to blend in with the clear cut look. The fragrance notes are:- Top Notes: Pink Grapefruit, Plum & Violet Middle Notes: Jasmine, Wild Orchid & Magnolia Base Notes: Amber, Peach, Wood & Musk I really like the bottle because it is beautifully simple and you can see how much liquid you have left. The cap is not very secure though because it just sits on top of the spritzer, which means it can easy fall off in your bag. The spritzer is very easy to use and it distributes the perfume evenly in a concentrated mist. The scent I would say...