Skip to main content

Lauren Luke Set of 8 Essential Brushes

I have had this brush set for close to two years now and I can’t believe that it has taken me so long to review it.

This brush set is by Lauren Luke and she wanted to create brushes that she would use herself and be well made, but not too expensive. When I bought my set the shipping cost was £1.99 (UK), but it may have changed.
Large Powder Brush – £6.50
This brush is supposed to be brilliant for applying foundation, bronzer, blush and highlighter. The bristles are 185mm in length and made of goat hair.

This is one of my favourite brushes from the set and it is jam packed with bristles, but it is so soft!  It is the perfect size too, because the head is relatively large but the shorter handle makes it sit well. It works well for any powder product and for sweeping away fall out from eyeshadows. The bristles enable you to pick up quite a bit of product, so if you are using colour don’t be heavy handed. I do not recommend using it for cream based products as it can shed, but this isn’t a problem for me because I use it exclusively for setting/finishing powder.
Flat Contour Brush – £5.25
This brush is described as being good for blending products, such as, powder, bronzer, blush and highlighter. The bristles are 185mm in length and made of goat hair.

This is my favourite brush from the set and it is quite small and soft. It is much smaller than your standard blush/bronzer brush, but I prefer it. I find it easier to use this for my blush, because it allows you pick up a small amount of product and you can control the distribution of the product. I wouldn’t use this brush for cream products because it can shed. I use this brush for applying blush only.
Foundation Brush – £6
This brush is domed shaped to enable you to reach awkward areas of your face to achieve a flawless finish. It is recommended that you use cream based products with this brush. The bristles are 185mm in length and made of PBT (synthetic) hair.

This brush doesn’t get much use because I prefer to apply foundation with my fingers, but I have applied BB cream with it and it worked quite well. I just choose not to use a brush because it takes time and after using a brush, I feel I have to go back over with my fingers just to make sure. The brush is quite soft and very easy to manoeuver and it reaches those awkward places of your face, such as, around the nose. This is a good brush, but I personally don’t need it.
Tapered Blending Brush – £4.50
This brush has slightly longer bristles than a regular blending brush, to allow a more subtle blending effect of eyeshadows. The bristles are 170mm in length and made of goat hair.

I have used this brush quite a lot and I mainly use it for applying/blending eyeshadow into my crease. It works very well and the bristles are very soft, but I wish the bristles were slightly denser. 
Blending Eye Shadow Brush – £4.50
This brush is supposed to be good for all over eyeshadow application and general blending. The bristles are 165mm in length and made of goat hair.

I don’t use this brush as often as the tapered version, but it is a good brush. It is very soft and I mainly use it for blending or highlighting under the brow.
Flat Eye Shadow Brush – £4
This brush should be great for applying eyeshadow all over, as well as highlighting the brow bone. The bristles are 160mm in length and made of goat hair.

This is one of my favourite eye brushes that I own and I use it quite a bit. It is very flat and soft. I also like that it is slightly fluffy because it enables you to pick up more product and it packs eyeshadow on the lid better than a denser flat eyeshadow brush. I would not recommend using this brush for cream eyeshadow though, as it can shed.
Pencil Brush – £3.25
This brush is supposed to be perfect for adding eyeshadow to the lower lash line, creating a cut crease and delicate blending to the outer corners. The bristles are 160mm in length and made of goat hair.

This brush is perfect for the lower lash line! Not only is it soft, but it is small enough to really define your lower lash line with eyeshadow. The bristles are slightly tapered to a point, which just adds to the precision. It is not too bad at applying cream eyeshadow to the lower lash line though because the bristles are smaller and denser than the regular eye brushes.
 
Angled Liner Brush – £3.25
This brush is aimed at giving you a precise application of eyeliner and filling in your eyebrows. The bristles are 155mm in length and made of PBT (synthetic) hair.

This brush doesn’t get used a lot, but it is a good brush. It is dense but soft at the same time and it is great at precision. I use is mostly for when I use eyeshadow as eyeliner. I don’t use it for my brows because I prefer pencil and I think pencil offers more precision for filling it and giving your brows shape. It is great for cream eyeliner as the bristles do not shed.

Overall this is a brilliant brush set and it was inexpensive. Some brushes I like more than others, but that’s the case with most beauty products. The only disappointing factor about the brushes, is the fact that the brushes made of goat hair, all shed. It is not a major problem for me, but washing them does slightly ruin the bristles, which is quite sad and the reason I try not to wash them too often (as you can tell from the pictures).

Also if you are interested in the brushes, I would purchase them as soon as you can because Lauren will be discontinuing them when all of them have sold out. I have no idea why, but interest in her make-up brand has waned over the years. So act now to avoid disappointment!

Price - £33.75   Rating - 5/5
Recommend - Yes        Re-Purchase - Yes
Available at - LaurenLuke.com/shop

What do you think of this brush set?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jouer Skinny Dip Palette

I first saw this palette when Jouer released their Skinny Dip make-up collection and I nearly bought it, but I changed my mind because I already have a million palettes. As you can see, I have changed my mind again and I am very glad that I did. The packaging is quite compact. It is made out of reflective foil gold cardboard and the typography is simple. It has a magnetic closing, which you lift to reveal a small rectangular mirror on one side and then the six eyeshadow pans on the other. The shade names are written underneath each pan. You get six ultra-foil shimmer eyeshadows in blinding shades with a net weight of 7.5g. The sixth shade is actually described as more of a glitter shade. STAR LIGHT - platinum BIKINI - champagne pink SKINNY DIP - champagne gold TAN LINES - antique bronze MAGIC HOUR - warm taupe MIDNIGHT SWIM - cocoa bronze The eyeshadows should be highly pigmented, have an intense shimmery and metallic finish, be long wearing and cre

KALEIDOS Space Age Highlighters

A few posts ago I mentioned that I purchased a Kaleidos Space Age Highlighter from Depop and I said I really wanted the whole collection (8 highlighters) and was considering purchasing the whole bundle. The bundle was and is still out of stock, so I caved in and went for the second best option. I ended up purchasing The Six Highlighter Bundle, where you choose six of the shades and you get their Precision Highlighter Brush, all for $76.00 (£60.70). With this option I would only be missing out on one shade. My order was shipped from China and took 10 days to get to me. The shipping was FREE as I spent over $70.00 and I wasn’t charged any customs fees. Inside the main package is the bright bundle box, it looks like a present/gift. When you open this up, the highlighters and brush are inside the metallic padded envelope. I already own the shade Ray Rider (N03) (champagne sheen with a peach hint). Click HERE to read my first impressions of it and see a swatch. Please forgi

Zoella Beauty!

Zoe Sugg a.k.a Zoella has now launched her brand new beauty/girly collection! When I first heard she was going to launch products, I instantly thought it would be make-up, I was wrong. The products do reflect her personality and maybe in time she may release make-up too. Here is a list of the whole collection so far:- Blissful Mistful Fragrance Body Mist (45ml) - £8.00 Fizz Bar Bath Bomb (200g) - £5.00 Creamy Madly Dreamy Body Lotion (160ml) - £5.00 Soak Opera Bath/Shower Cream (490ml) - £5.00 Let’s Glow Candle - £5.00 Guinea Pig Beauty Bag - £8.00 Zoella Eyes Beauty Bag - £8.00 The products look and sound very interesting and the design is beautiful and so Zoe! I would have loved to have bought everything, but I only bought the items I knew I would use. I picked up two products overall and they are the perfume and a make-up bag. Blissful Mistful The bottle for this is stunning! It is cubed shaped and is made of transparent glass. On the back of