Skip to main content

Birchbox #8 - February 2019


My last Birchbox was July 2018 and I periodically re-subscribe. I only re-subscribed this month because you could get a FREE The Beauty Crop Espresso Yourself Palette. This is a sort of Valentine’s Day themed box and you get three postcards and two 15% off gift vouchers for the Birchbox website. You can use the vouchers to purchase any items you receive in your boxes.

This is my first drawer type Birchbox. The last time I was subscribed it was your usual cardboard box with a lid and I think the products also came inside a little drawstring bag inside the box. Here is what I received this month:-
LOC Liquid Shimmer Shadow in Eclipse
I actually got to choose my shade of this product, there was Eclipse (rose gold) or Moonlight (taupe) available. This product is supposed to give you a subtle hint of colour and shine that can be layered for a bolder look. It has a water based formula and it should feel lightweight and comfortable on your lids, whilst providing long lasting wear. You can swipe it on your eye lids and blend it in. It should set after thirty seconds and be crease-proof. It is a nice shade and it is highly pigmented and shiny, but it doesn’t really appeal to me. I have only swatched it, but if I were to use a liquid eyeshadow I would use a Stila one because there is no comparison.
| 0.9ml - £8.00 |

Anatomicals Shower Gel
This shower gel should have a subtle floral fragrance which should wake up your senses and leave you ready to face the day. I can’t really smell anything from the tube and it is quite small for a full size shower gel. I will use it.
| 100ml - £4.00 |

Coco & Eve Like A Virgin Super Nourishing Coconut & Fig Hair Masque
This mask is supposed to repair damage, improve texture and shine, deeply hydrate, fight frizz and seal split ends. It should also be good for detangling. You are supposed to apply this to your hair after shampooing on your wet hair. You leave it on for 5-10 minutes and then rinse out. I probably won’t try this as I am not into hair care products, but it does smell good.
| 38ml - £9.00 |

LUXIE BEAUTY Tapered Blending Brush (205)
This is a fluffy blending brush, which should be ideal powder and cream eyeshadows. It has soft synthetic bristles, which are vegan, cruelty-free and hypoallergenic. It says dreamcatcher in the description, so I am guessing that is a collection name because the blue is not their regular brush colour. I also received a Luxie brush in my most recent Glossybox. The bristles feel soft and it is a decent size. I can’t see why I wouldn’t get along with this brush, so I will be adding to my growing brush collection.
| £11.00 |

John Masters Organics Geranium & Grapefruit Body Milk
This body milk is supposed to rapidly restore moisture and softness to the skin. It contains essential oils for deep conditioning. It should have a lightweight texture, which should also make it absorb quickly. I am not into body products either, so I will not try this product out, but it does smell lovely.
| 30ml - Sample Size (Full Size: £18.00) |

The Beauty Crop Espresso Yourself Palette is full of neutral shades and they are decently pigmented. The pan sizes are quite small and I just about fit the tips of my fingers in them to take finger swatches. I have never heard of this brand before. This palette is cruelty-free and contains coffee extract. I will do a review of this palette soon.
I did like this box, but it just reaffirms why I cancel beauty boxes in general. Nothing really stands out to me in this box, apart from the freebie that is! I have un-subscribed again already, but I may re-subscribe again in the future if a preview catches my eye. I am also trying not to collect too many cosmetics now, because I am doing a big declutter again soon. I find that beauty boxes just bump up your collection, whether you actually want or like the products you receive or not. In general, I only tend to keep one product from beauty boxes, which in all honesty is a complete waste of money. I could use the money to buy a palette or perfume I really want; they are my kryptonite of the beauty world!

The ‘Sneak Peak!’ for the March box, teases that everyone will receive a Generation Clay Mask. You get to choose from Brightening Ultra Violet or Detoxifying Charcoal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Katie Price 'Stunning' Perfume VS JoJo Siwa 'Be You' Perfume - Are they the same?

I was browsing on AllBeauty.com and looking at celebrity fragrances and I saw that one was listed for JoJo Siwa. I had heard of JoJo before, but I don’t really know anything about her. I clicked on it out of interest and when I first saw the image of the perfume, I thought maybe the wrong photograph had been uploaded until I clicked on it and saw the description of the perfume. When I first saw the photograph, before I clicked on it to read the description, I instantly thought, that’s Stunning by Katie Price! I looked into it a bit more and compared it to Stunning. The JoJo Siwa “version” is called Be You. Photo Source: Perfume.com Stunning by Katie Price ·          Released in 2007 (12 years ago). ·          Contains the notes; Mandarin Orange, Jasmine & Patchouli. ·          Classed as a floral scent. ·          Marketed as an adult’s fragrance. ·          Diamonds by Next is a confirmed dupe of this perfume, but the bottle is completely different. You w

Jouer Skinny Dip Palette

I first saw this palette when Jouer released their Skinny Dip make-up collection and I nearly bought it, but I changed my mind because I already have a million palettes. As you can see, I have changed my mind again and I am very glad that I did. The packaging is quite compact. It is made out of reflective foil gold cardboard and the typography is simple. It has a magnetic closing, which you lift to reveal a small rectangular mirror on one side and then the six eyeshadow pans on the other. The shade names are written underneath each pan. You get six ultra-foil shimmer eyeshadows in blinding shades with a net weight of 7.5g. The sixth shade is actually described as more of a glitter shade. STAR LIGHT - platinum BIKINI - champagne pink SKINNY DIP - champagne gold TAN LINES - antique bronze MAGIC HOUR - warm taupe MIDNIGHT SWIM - cocoa bronze The eyeshadows should be highly pigmented, have an intense shimmery and metallic finish, be long wearing and cre

Book Bargain!

I was shopping today and saw that a local bookstore had a clearance sale and most of the books were £1 each and I saw a couple I liked the look of, but I knew I wouldn’t read them straight away and I already have quite a few books I need to read and as I was on my way out of the store I noticed......... ELIXIR a novel by Hilary Duff. I had been wanting this book for a couple of years, but I had never seen it in any book store, plus it was expensive online and I tend to only read a book once and then get rid of it, so for that reason I usually buy books off eBay. The teaser says, “A soulmate for life ... or death. Clea Raymond has felt the glare of the spotlight her entire life. The daughter of a renowned surgeon and a prominent politician, Clea takes refuge in her career as a photojournalist; hiding behind her camera lens. But following Clea’s father disappearance while on a humanitarian mission, Clea’s photos begin to feature eerie, shadowy images of a strange and beaut