Skip to main content

Becca's Babble's #5: My Favourite Films

Last month I shared with you my current favourite songs and today I thought I would mention my all-time favourite films. I might do another post on my favourite TV series, but that would probably be a very long list. Here are my top twelve favourite films (in year and alphabetical order):-

The Wizard of Oz (1939)
This is the oldest of my favourite films and it is a classic! I don’t think a synopsis is needed by me for this film. It is a really magical film, especially for the era it was made in where there was no CGI and they had to get creative for the special effects. I really enjoy this colourful, magical and musical film.

Return to Oz (1985)
The film is set after Dorothy returns home from Oz. It isn’t really a continuation of the Wizard of Oz film as it was made decades later and doesn’t feature any original cast. It also isn’t a musical. Dorothy finds herself back in Oz and realises it needs saving from some terrible people as a lot has changed there since she returned home. I do still enjoy this film.

The Princess Bride (1987)
This is a fantasy comedy film and it is probably my 2nd best favourite film ever! The story is basically told by a Grandfather to his Grandson in the film and we see the story play out. A farmhand (Westley) has to go through some tough trials to save his true love, Princess Buttercup from an unwanted and forced marriage to the Prince Humperdinck. There is a lot of fun on the way and some great quotes (“As you wish” / “Hello, My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die”).

The Little Mermaid (1989)
This is a Disney musical adaption of The Little Mermaid fairy tale. A young mermaid Princess longs to walk on land and happens to fall in love with a human. The film is about her finding the man she falls for and the obstacles that face them. As it is a Disney film, there is a happy ending and the Princess gets her Prince! I love the music and it is my favourite animated Disney film and Ariel is my favourite Disney Princess.

Thumbelina (1994)
This is a Don Bluth Ireland Ltd musical adaptation and I used to watch this all the time as a child and it is still my favourite version of the story of Thumbelina. The music is so fun and catchy and makes you want to dance. The story is that a woman longs for a child and is given a tulip by a witch. When the tulip opens there is a small girl inside, the woman names her Thumbelina (the size of your thumb). As time goes by, Thumbelina wishes she knew people of her own size. She meets a fairy Prince and falls in love. They end up apart and the rest of the film is about them finding each other again.

Anastasia (1997)
This is an animated musical inspired by the Russian Revolution and the fall of the Royal Romanov Family. It is a Fox Animation film (not Disney), but I think it has the same magic as a Disney Princess film if not more as it is loosely based on the real Princess Anastasia of Russia. There is a sidekick Bat (Bartok) who is quite funny and adds that element to the film, even if he is on the side of evil.

Ever After (1998)
This is a film inspired by the fairy tale Cinderella and is set in Renaissance-era France. It stars Drew Barrymore as Danielle de Barbarac (Cinderella) and Dougray Scott as Crown Prince Henry (Prince Charming) and it is my all-time favourite film. There are quite a few quotes that I love from the film.

Mighty Joe Young (1998)
This film is about a giant mountain gorilla called Joe, being raised and protected by Jill Young, played by Charlize Theron in Uganda. It goes through how they met and the lengths they have to go through to ensure that Joe can live a free and safe life away from poachers. One of my favourite scenes is with the ferris wheel at the carnival. It makes me tear up a little every time I see this part of the film.

Bartok the Magnificent (1999)
This is an animated adventure comedy film starring Bartok the Bat from Anastasia. It is mean’t to create a backstory for Bartok, showing us what he got up to before becoming Rasputin’s sidekick in Anastasia. This is also a Fox Animation film and features five musical numbers, even though it is not classed as a musical animation.

Lion of Oz (2000)
This is a CinéGroupe animated musical set before the events in the Wizard of Oz. It is the Lion’s story on how he found himself in Oz. It is also about courage and believing in yourself. It is a great film with a great message for children and I love all of the songs. The film ends where the Lion meets Dorothy on the way to the Emerald City.

The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (2000)
This film is set after the events of the first film and Ariel has now become a mother. There is now a threat in the sea, so a barrier is created between land and sea to protect the new baby Princess from the threat. As the baby grows up she longs to be in the sea and become a mermaid. She isn’t sure why she feels this way as she is unaware her mother (Ariel) is a mermaid. Eventually the threat takes over and it is up to the young Princess to save the day and unite the humans and mermaids. This is also a musical adaptation like the first film. I really like the music and my favourite Disney film is The Little Mermaid and I am obsessed with the mythology of mermaids in general!

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian (2008)
This is the second film in the newest Narnia series and it is my favourite one out of the three made. It’s set one thousand three hundred (1,300) years after the Pevensie siblings left Narnia at the end of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. That’s how many years in Narnian time, but in Human Earth time it has actually only been a year. You can only imagine the vast changes in Narnia in that many years, but to the siblings it’s only been a year since they left. I just love the battle scenes and it is a coming of age film, especially for the two older siblings. The ending credits song is so sad, but beautiful (The Call by Regina Spektor).

I do like quite a few other films too, but the above are my absolute favourites. I also like watching franchise films. Here are some honourable mentions; Grease (1978), Splash (1984), The Black Cauldron (1985), Dirty Dancing (1987), Mannequin (1987), Ghost (1990), The Swan Princess (1994), Double Jeopardy (1999), Coyote Ugly (2000), A Knight’s Tale (2001), Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2001), Harry Potter series (2001-2011), The Lord of the Rings trilogy (2001-2003), Pirates of the Caribbean series (2003-2007), The Chronicles of Narnia series (2005-2010), The Hobbit trilogy (2012-2014), Split (2016) and Patrick (2018).

My current list of films I still need to watch are; Saving Private Ryan (1998), Avatar (2009), The Danish Girl (2015), A Quiet Place (2018), John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (2019), Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019), What Men Want (2019) and Extraction (2020).

The ones I am waiting on to be released in the cinemas after the pandemic are; Wonder Woman 1984, Peter Rabbit 2, Black Widow, Mulan, The King’s Man, The Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard and The King of Staten Island.

Do you have any suggestions for other films I might like?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Katie Price 'Stunning' Perfume VS JoJo Siwa 'Be You' Perfume - Are they the same?

I was browsing on AllBeauty.com and looking at celebrity fragrances and I saw that one was listed for JoJo Siwa. I had heard of JoJo before, but I don’t really know anything about her. I clicked on it out of interest and when I first saw the image of the perfume, I thought maybe the wrong photograph had been uploaded until I clicked on it and saw the description of the perfume. When I first saw the photograph, before I clicked on it to read the description, I instantly thought, that’s Stunning by Katie Price! I looked into it a bit more and compared it to Stunning. The JoJo Siwa “version” is called Be You. Photo Source: Perfume.com Stunning by Katie Price ·          Released in 2007 (12 years ago). ·          Contains the notes; Mandarin Orange, Jasmine & Patchouli. ·          Classed as a floral scent. ·          Marketed as an adult’s fragrance. ·          Diamonds by Next is a confirmed dupe of this perfume, but the bottle is completely different. You w

Jouer Skinny Dip Palette

I first saw this palette when Jouer released their Skinny Dip make-up collection and I nearly bought it, but I changed my mind because I already have a million palettes. As you can see, I have changed my mind again and I am very glad that I did. The packaging is quite compact. It is made out of reflective foil gold cardboard and the typography is simple. It has a magnetic closing, which you lift to reveal a small rectangular mirror on one side and then the six eyeshadow pans on the other. The shade names are written underneath each pan. You get six ultra-foil shimmer eyeshadows in blinding shades with a net weight of 7.5g. The sixth shade is actually described as more of a glitter shade. STAR LIGHT - platinum BIKINI - champagne pink SKINNY DIP - champagne gold TAN LINES - antique bronze MAGIC HOUR - warm taupe MIDNIGHT SWIM - cocoa bronze The eyeshadows should be highly pigmented, have an intense shimmery and metallic finish, be long wearing and cre

Urban Decay Super Saturated High-Gloss Lip Color

I received this product as part of the Oz: The Great and Powerful Theodora Palette, which also includes eyeliner. I am going to review the product as a whole, even though I only have it in the one shade. This product is a jumbo/chubby lip pencil with a black plastic lid. It is just like the Urban Decay 24/7 eyeliners, but bigger. Each barrel of each pencil is a different colour, to clearly show the colour of each shade. Theodora is a bright, creamy, glossy cherry red shade and is Limited Edition, but it is part of the regular line and is instead called F-Bomb . You get 2.8g of product and it is full size. You also have to sharpen it to dispense more product. The formula is smooth, creamy, glossy and slightly tacky, but not sticky. This product is supposed to give your lips an opaque, saturated and pigment rich colour with a glossy finish. It is also mean’t to be quite creamy so that it glides onto your lips. The product is also said to contain plant derived ingredients, whi